Black Friday shopping drove me a little crazy this year. I was expecting some pretty amazing deals, but a lot of my favorite brands didn’t have very impressive discounts. Take e.l.f. for example; they were offering 50% off of orders above $35.. but they have that deal every month. Where were the crazy discounts my greedy little consumerist heart was looking for? Well, I eventually found some makeup products for absurdly cheap prices, but from a brand I had never heard of before: Parlo Cosmetics.
If you’ve never heard of this brand before, check them out now. Seriously, right now. You can thank me later. Parlo Cosmetics creates small-batch, cruelty-free mineral makeup with ingredients that are good for your skin. Plus, you get a free sample with each purchase! What really drew me to them was their eyeshadow pans, which were on sale for only $3! They are now priced at $5, which is still a good deal for high quality shadows. You can purchase pressed shadows, or loose mineral powder. Full sized jars of shadow come packaged in 10 gram jars, with enough product to last 150-200 applications! Isn’t that crazy! I ordered several shadows, which I will be reviewing later in this post.
I purchased four full sized pressed shadows, one full sized loose powder shadow, one sample sized loose powder shadow, a lip balm, two concealer samples, a foundation sample, a matte setting powder, and bourbon apple wax melts (not pictured). This was a good bit of makeup, and it only ended up costing me $30, after shipping and taxes.
Just look at how cute everything is! I love Parlo’s packaging.
Here are swatches of all the shadows I received.
From left to right:
– Satin Sheets: This was a free sample I got with my order. This is a sort of taupe shimmer shade, with a satin finish. It is so velvety, and is a gorgeous cool toned shade.
– Dream Girl, Loose Powder: Sale price of $3. Wow, this was such an ethereal shade! It’s an iridescent pink that I’ve been using as an inner corner highlight and also on my cheekbones.
– Safari, Pressed Powder: Sale price of $3. This is probably the creamiest bronze shade I have ever used, and it is intensely pigmented. I really like that it is not as warm as bronzes in my other eyeshadow palettes.
– Mermaids Exist: Sale price of $3. Finally! A blue eyeshadow that I actually like! It seems like every palette I’ve purchased recently throws in a blue shade that I end up hating. It’s common for blues to look great when swatched, but then turn muddy and disappear when you try to use them on the eye. It’s a tricky color to get right, but Parlo cosmetics succeeded! This is my favorite shadow out of all of the ones I received. I wore this out the other night, and my eyes were still as intensely pigmented several hours later. The only thing I was bummed about was that I ordered a pressed shadow, and it arrived crumbled. I am sure Parlo Cosmetics would be happy to send a replacement, but I will just repress it with some rubbing alcohol.
– Bailey, Pressed: Sale price of $3.60. This is a deep periwinkle, which is gorgeous but there is little color payoff. I tried to put this in my crease, and I had to load up my brush about four times. Once the color is built up, it is gorgeous… but it is the hardest to work with out of any of the shadows I received.
– Damn Darlin: Sale price of $2.10. This comes across as black in the swatches, but it is actually a deep plum shade. It does show up on the eyes as plum, and I quite like it.
Here is a closer look at the swatches:
I incorporated every eyeshadow into my look today, except for Safari. Below, I am wearing Bailey in the crease, Mermaids Exist all over the lid, Damn Darlin and Satin Sheets in the outer corner, and Dream Girl in the inner corner. I was very impressed by how easy these shadows were to blend, and how long lasting they were! And that pop of blue from Mermaids Exist is just gorgeous.
I love the eyeshadows, and I plan on purchasing more of them in the future. Her pressed shadow formulas are some of the best I’ve ever used. And you really can’t beat such a low price!
Next, let’s move on to my foundation and concealer samples.
From left to right:
– Mineral Concealer Sample in Bare Ivory: Sale price of $1.50. This is so smooth to the touch, and has a wonderful brightening effect. It didn’t really cover my pimples, so I am using it to cover my dark circles.
– Cream Concealer Sample in Fair Oak: Sale price of $1.20. This does a much better job at concealing blemishes. It reminds me quite a bit of the NYX Concealer Jar.
– Mineral Foundation Sample in Bare Ivory: Sale price of $1.50. I like how silky smooth this feels on my face, and how it melds seamlessly with my skin. However, it is a little too dark for me right now, so I am sticking to my mineral foundation from Mineral Hygienics.
In the photo below, the top swatch is the cream concealer, and the bottom is the mineral concealer.
I also purchased a sample of matte setting powder for $1.50. This contains aloe powder to soothe the skin, and it does a great job of controlling shine. You are also supposed to be able to dab it onto lipstick to change it to a matte finish, but I haven’t tested that out yet.
The last makeup product I ordered was a Lemon Drop lip balm, which was on sale for only $2.40! This does not have as strong of a scent or flavor as I have come to expect from lip balms. However, I think this is due to the fact that Parlo does not use any filler ingredients or chemicals in their products. Instead, it contains ingredients such as cocoa butter, jojoba oil, and Vitamin E to condition the lips. Perfect for colder weather!
Below, I am wearing every product I received except for the “Safari” shade of eyeshadow. I used the chapstick under a Stila liquid lipstick, to prevent it from drying out my lips.
Overall, this was a very satisfying haul. I have fallen in love with Parlo Cosmetics, and I definitely plan on purchasing from them again. Everything is affordable, high quality, cruelty free, and natural – the perfect combination in my book! I really hope you found this review useful. If you found any awesome deals for Black Friday, let me know in the comments below!